1. Choose a simple pattern
2. Trust the designer, don’t override the instructions
3. Choose a yarn that is easy to knit
Not too slippery – avoid silk and bamboo.
4. Don’t start with mohair type yarns
because it is very hard undo any mistakes
5. Choose a solid colour at first
6. Avoid lace weight, very thin yarns
go for sport or fingering weight as they are much simpler to handle
7. Use stitch markers
To separate the pattern repeats
8. Use a post-it note or something similar to mark
Check for more in this blogpost: Where you are in the pattern
9. Always knit the whole row
Don’t put down your knitting in the middle of it because you might carry on in the wrong direction later.
10. Use a “life line”
11. If you need to undo your knitting
but not until the life line, take the stitches back one by one.
+1: Greenhorn shawl pattern
This is an ideal first lace project, designed especially for beginners who want to get into lace knitting. Find out more here!
And if you want to be keep this list always by your hand, then download this checklist: